The following are a few of the most frequently asked questions regarding the EPA lead certification process:

Q: Who needs to have a lead certification?

A: Certification is required for all firms that are paid to perform work that may disturb lead paint or conduct lead dust sampling in child-occupied facilities or homes built before 1978. This may include:

• General contractors

• Carpenters

• Electricians

• Painters

• Kitchen and bath specialists

• Plumbers

• Renovation and remodeling specialists

• Rental property owners or managers

• Maintenance staff

Q: Do self-employed dust sampling technicians or renovators have to be certified?

A: Yes. The EPA defines “firm” to include any of the following:

• Companies

• Corporations

• Sole proprietorships or individuals doing business

• Partnerships

• Associations

• Federal, state, or tribal entities

• Nonprofit organizations

Q: What is involved in becoming certified?

A: Any firm wishing to conduct dust sampling tests or renovations must submit an application, along with application fees, to the EPA stating that it will:

• Use only certified and trained individuals to perform renovations.

• Assign a certified renovator to every renovation project.

• Follow all work standards and record keeping requirements as outlined in EPA regulations.

Once the application is received, the EPA has up to 90 days to approve or deny the request. Firms meeting the above requirements are approved unless the EPA identifies a compliance history on the part of the firm or its key employees or principles that demonstrates and inability or unwillingness to comply with applicable environmental regulations and statutes.

Q: What happens if my firm information changes after certification?

A: A firm has 90 days to amend its certification if there is a change in the information contained in the most recent application. Examples of situations requiring an amendment include:

• A change of address.

• A change in contact information.

• A change in the firm name without a change in ownership.

The firm submits an amendment by completing the sections of an application relating to the changed information and submitting it to the EPA with the required fees. The EPA will then issue a certification reflecting the updated information. The amendment will not extend the certification expiration date or alter the validity of the existing certification. It is important to note that certifications are not transferable. Whenever there is a transfer of ownership, the new owners must submit their own application for certification.

Q: How do I maintain my certification?

A: An “Application for Firms,” along with the recertification fee, must be submitted at least 90 days before the current certification is set to expire. If the request is postmarked at least 90 days prior to expiration, the current certification will remain valid until it expires or until the recertification request is approved, whichever is later. A recertification is valid for five years from the expiration date of the current certification. A certification will expire as normal If the recertification request is postmarked less than 90 days before the current certification is set to expire and is not approved prior to expiration. This firm will not be allowed to perform renovations or conduct sample testing until the application is approved. The EPA will not approve recertification requests that are incomplete or submitted after the certification expiration date. The request will be considered a new application and the firm will not be permitted to conduct sample testing or renovations until the application is approved.